Sunday, September 23, 2012

The ugly blue vest...

As a testament that its all in "perspective", my dad is actually considering a career change.

See, yesterday in the midst of my 'under-water' experience in the basement, my dad would grumble something and my mom would burst out in hysterical fits of the giggles. Not knowing what was so funny about dad's complaints, or occassional cursings of me...and being a bit still in the middle of a pity party and not seeing alot of humor myself...I didn't even question what could be making mom laugh. Today she felt my emotional stability was enough such that I could know the truth.

After calling my dad yesterday morning bright and early, and quite simply stating, "Dad, I left the hose on all night. My basement is flooded. Can you bring in shop vacs and help?", this is what happened there....

Dad, having just been woken up from a good night's sleep...said "Denise, I think its time we get job's at Walmart. Not because we need the money. But I understand it now. We need a job  there so we have an excuse to be busy from our kids' lives." :) Well, until I see his purdy little blue vest, I'm still calling him. And, just for the record, I can work my problems around his shift work.

I think what really bothers me is that I am a fairly non-dramatic person. I HATE when things are off schedule and un-routine. And my life has been non-stop drama and disaster lately. And I'm not complaining. I'm incredibly grateful. Because as stressed as I've been...I have a bit of perspective. I realize that these things are small bumps along the path. Annoying. Frustrating. Tear-inducing. Stupid. Yes.

But they could and might..get worse. Its okay. We do hard things. My mom's always told me I'm her comfort child...I've never been naughty(I didn't say stubborn or pig-headed...just naughty :) and I've never caused trouble intentionally...and I generally like peaceful things. Today she confided in me that last night after her and dad left my house and had gotten settled at home that dad said, "what is wrong with Julie? Her life is one catastrophe after another lately!"

Can you believe he thinks that handing out smiley face stickers and checking receipts is going to change that? Well, by all means then dad, take one for the team!!!! Go. Team. Walmart.

No comments: