I have been 'telling' my children that work is part of our purpose on this earth every.single.day. of their lives. So why is it they avoid this task like its the sure-fire end of their lives?
I've been creative: awarded cleanliness. Assigned piggy points that had attached consequences. Gotten Cranky. Lots. And none of it is working. Cutesie chore charts...spinners on the fridge. Prizes. Demands. NOTHING WORKS INDEFINITELY.
My children have gotten used to the idea that mom is their slave. And, I have WAY too many of them for that to be a good thing. Besides, I'm a believer that kids should work right along side of their parents. For, one day, they'll be running their own ships...with monkies of their own. And...like Adam learned when he was booted from the garden...every single thing we get in this life comes by the sweat of our brow(or Obama's handouts....-sorry, couldn't resist). How can I fail to teach this most inherintely important concept???
Now, honestly...this is pretty cyclical at our house. At some points they do their chores(never happily) but they do them. And now we're definitely on the down swing of this cycle. And I'm so so so frustrated. Not angry. DEFEATED. Its my JOB to teach them. And...I can't seem to figure this out.
So...I've instuted a new law. Its called: THE LAW OF THE PIG
IF YOU LIVE LIKE A PIG....YOU WILL EXPERIENCE HIS FREEDOM.
Now...the premise is simple. If you want to trot around freely....roll in your mud periodically...and live the good life....WORK. No more asking for help. Its an expectation in this house. And ALL freedoms hinge on the expectation being fulfilled.
Cable tv. WII. Friends. All of it.
I'm thinking tv is leaving us anyhoooooooo. I may die without HGTV, and Nate SURELY will die without ESPN. But there is a peace in our home when the background noise is laughter from a board game, or teaching Landri a ridiculous dance move.
So, no more cranky mom. I refuse to be so. But the kids have been warned: THE LAW OF THE PIG is firmly in force! Freedoms are entirely contingent on compliance.
Here is to one sparkly, peaceful, happy-filled life.
No comments:
Post a Comment