Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Eeek

Apparently I am not a smart woman. The old adage that hindsight is better than foresight proves absolutely true with me...the problem is, you'd think I'd be able to predict a few things a little better! Experience should start to weigh in and raise little red flags.
But, nope.
I am left to my stupidity time and time again :)
My children have been in need of a few procedures for a while now. And, they've been postponed repeatedly due to my own issues and insurance issues, and work...I scheduled them for the first free day. April 16th. And I scheduled them TOGETHER...because that's what smart parents do!
Go ahead and insert sarcasm.
They squished Nate, Eli, myself and Lu into a room the size of a glorified bathroom. It was 1000 degrees in there, and things were late...so we tried to calm 2 children who were starving, thirsty and wound up with anxiety. The nurse brought in Landri's syringe of versaid (sp?) and I asked if it was for me....
Landri swallowed her sedative and we waited, and waited...for it to kick in. After 15 minutes the nurse popped her head in and was perplexed to see her still chattering away. We were amazed that in the few seconds it took to answer the last of her questions, Landri popped her hip out to the side, dropping her shoulder down and her head swung down. She looked over at me and I snagged her up...laughing, I asked if she was tired. Her speech got a little slurry, as I laid her down on the bed she drug out...'whhhhhhy yoouuuuuuu laaaaay meeeeee?????' And then she just went limp, very drugged. Amazing stuff, it is. She was blowing kisses as they wheeled her out...well, she was trying. It took a little longer to make the connection from one movement to the next. She would have never left that room of her own free will had she not been totally drugged!
The same doctor performed both procedures...so Eli chilled with us in the same tiny room while we waited for Landri.
I heard a child screaming. But it didn't sound like mine so I tried to ignore it...after like 10 minutes I asked a passing nurse when my Lu would be coming out...wanting to be there when she wakes up. I'd done this before...it is scary when they come to. The nurse looked at me, and informed me the distraught baby WAS mine. That pretty much unhinged me. I basically demanded they give her to me. I think they were very relieved at this, because the nurse struggled to bring me a half naked, thrashing, screaming beast that was very very VERY difficult to contain. I wrestled her for an hour. And Nate helped. We struggled to keep her free hand away from her IV line, and as she crocodile-wrestled in circles, we worked to free her from the tangled cords...Our tiny sweatbox was a torture cell.
After probably an hour, she proceded to rip her IV line out, causing blood to go everywhere. Nate and the old nurse worked to stop the bleeding while I pinned her kicking feet. She was totally out of it still...and in between the craziness Nate and I would meet eyes and bust out laughing. A child possessed!
Poor baby was miserable and scared. She threatened to 'puke up'...her version of 'throw up'...thankfully she didn't. The nurses kept peeking in, the worry becoming evident that her tonsils could bust open if she didn't settle soon.
Oh, and Eli was out of surgery now. So, the panic that he'd wake up like this was starting to settle in...
The nurse said he was darling...that he told her all about his siblings and was talking when they put the mask on him. That was what he'd dreaded...he remembers it from his last surgery. He begged me last night not to let them put on that scary mask. When it went on today, apparently big tears welled up in his eyes. There are some things I'm grateful not to watch.
Landri was just settling when they wheeled Eli into the room next to ours...I told Lu it was time to be big because Eli was scared and waking up and needed me too...and she snuggled her head to me and quieted down.
We sat beside Eli's bed as he very sleepily pried his eyes open. Anesthesia makes this child weepy...and the lip instantly dropped out, and the tears welled. He was emotional for a bit, trying to reign it in, but not able to totally stop the few tears that would roll down his cheeks.
We'd been trying for well over an hour now to cajole Lu into drinking...but as Eli started chugging juice her resolve to do it too strengthened. She isn't totally aware that they didn't have the exact procedures done...so hopefully that  works in my favor! After convincing her to take her pain meds(don't know why they don't get them while sedated) she perked up! She drank two juices and polished off a popsicle. She was chatting away.
I took her to the bathroom and asked if we could wash the blood off her arm. She scrunched her face while inspecting her bruised, bloody hand and asked, "who put that there?" Oh, only you.
I washed her hand, then asked if I could wash her toes. She looked down at her little chubby feet, also covered in dried blood. "That's disgusting!"
I love that even while feeling like junk...she's got her little spunky 'tude....
Its amazing what a little pain medicine can do...we've now been home for about 3 hours, redrugged, and while we're a little whiney, we're hunkered down on the couch with the ipad, watching 'Frozen'...
We have eaten 2 small bowls of shells and cheese, and a few bites of her McDonalds cheeseburger. The cool nurse smuggled us 5  of the  cute little juices in the can and we've managed to finish one of those too. If we can trudge through the next few days like this, we'll be okay. But I'm not naive enough to know that missing one dose of meds will have us set back into a crazy spell of complete misery.
I'm happy to report that aside from the few times this afternoon Eli has remembered he's supposed to be hurting, and faked a little dizzy spell or something...he's perked right up!
So, I think maybe we'll make it.
Except...the Easter Bunny hasn't done a darn thing. Poop.

No comments: