Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Move over...NATHAN!

One of the biggest surprises with moving back home has definitely been Jerry! I forgot how much I adore this kid....well, really, growing up he was an onery fart! He has some interesting quirks(don't we all...) but you know how you realize how much you love something/one with a little perspective? and maturity? I've always loved him, as does just about everyone who meet him. He has an inside track to what the purpose of this life is. And don't mistake his handicap for 'handicap' Because he functions better than most 'normal' people I know. I certainly think there's less drama and disaster with his simple life!

Since moving home, Jerry has self-appointed himself as a secondary father to our kids. Nate and I giggle hysterically at this. Its funny! The children-not so much.They recongnize that he's different now...and they've already assumed their intelligence/abilities to be surpassing his. Which on some levels, that might be true. One of the places where Jerry likes to assert his new role is in Sacrament each week. Now, this is already one of the most difficult hours of the week for me. One whole hour of making the kids sit quietly so I, and hopefully those around me could benefit from coming to church. Well, often I fail! We are one noisey row of chaos! So, enter Jerry. He often time slides casually into Nate's spot when Nate gets up for one last check that his Young Men have the sacrament all ready...or to make sure there are enough boys there to handle it. So, when I turn, or Nate returns...there's no room. One time he actually jumped the pew...yes, that was a very reverant scene....So imagine the THRILL of my children when Jerry scowls at them, pokes them and tells them to 'knock it off' or something equally effective. Mmmmhmmmmm. Its usually okay unless he happens to parent Eli. They just square off! Battle of the spirits I tell ya. But, like I have previously mentioned, one of my absolute favorite things about being home is having Jerry. And...seeing the way that Nate has fallen in love with him! He adores this kid...

So, here's the latest of Jerry-tales.
Last night Jerry called me and asked me to go to lunch with him(his treat) at the Senior Citizen's Drop In Center. I'm tickled actually, because Jerry has only taken 3 other people there...Jon, for his birthday last month, and my uncle and aunt for a wedding gift. This is serious stuff. So, because he hangs out alot here when its cold, he was chilling(sleeping, really) all morning. I apparently wasn't paying good attention to Landri and heard Jerry yell...so I come out to find Landri is wedging herself between the railing to slip through. This is on the top landing, where she would fall ten feet to the stair bottom. In reality, it makes my stomach sick to consider what could have happened in ten seconds more....but, Jerry rescued her! In and of itself...very cute! So I thanked him over and over, and made mention that I had better talk to the kids and make sure they understood the new danger, so to watch her carefully. Jerry very seriously said, 'I....think we better have a family home evening tonight.'(for any non-Mormon:this is a designated night where we hang out as a family...playing games...working out problems...teaching valuable principles..and eating treats!) I seriously bit my tongue. "Okay, Jer...I'll talk to them."
Have you seen Jerry's serious face? Its great. So, he says, "NO!.....I better handle it!"
HA!
So, not only is he in charge of Sunday discipline, he's now presiding over family home evening! MOVE OVER NATE! Who needs ya?


(this is the pose he assumes most regularily at my house:usually accompanied by loud snoring...)
Lunch was a success....he served me, introduced me and I had a ball! He politely ditched me there so he could go up town and get his pop and read the paper....I called Nate the minute I could and explained the story. We've vowed to fix the railing somehow tonight, on a serious note. But...we both added it to our favorite Jerry-moments! He's a keeper!!!

1 comment:

Romney Family said...

oh what a great tribute to Jerry. He is so great!!! I remember when he use to call the house to talk to Josh or Brandon about some sports game that was on tv!!!