Yesterday was such a high stress day. I was trying to finish getting the house ready for the homevisit with the social worker and, having no idea what to expect, I was a little stressed. I'd steam-cleaned the toilets, washed walls, and even made a lasagne to just casually 'slide into the oven cause I'm holly-homemaker, you know?'....Nate was taking his anxiety outside to the lawn, moving the last ghetto dirt pile from when we started renovating 2 summers ago...
Take a step back...like a month ago.
I'd had a conversation with my brother Jerry about our adopting. I told him we're adopting. He said to me, 'why? You have so many kids already?' It cracked me up so I didn't tell him any of the details. So yesterday morning, he popped in for a visit and I told him I wanted to show him a picture of our sweet daughter. So I showed him the only photos we have...and I asked him if he noticed anything about her...like, she was Down Syndrome? And he smiled and said yes...and then he said something that made my mom and me almost pee our pants laughing.
He spun around to mom and acted like he'd just caught onto something and said, 'MOMMMmmmmmm. I am NOT daTIng a handicap girl!!!" As if we are adopting Claire to simply bring home a mail order bride for him!
I stinking love this kid.
When we visited with the social worker later in the day she asked us what our draw to a handicap child was...
Well let me just say this: Jerry has been such a gift. Anyone who hasn't had the priviledge of such a special spirit has been ripped off! So, by the time we answered the social worker's question, she was crying.
So even if Jerry's not getting his 'hot chic'....we're getting the most beautiful, choicest of God's spirits...housed in a fragile temple, saved for us. Saved to come to our home, and teach us. And let us share in her life..and the mission that she has here on earth. So, while yesterday started off HUGELY stressful...it ended with family pictures(also kinda stressful) and then it ended with a feeling of satisfaction, and elation. Pure joy. Because we are headed somewhere big as a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment