We hardly ever go anywhere with the kids. First of all, they're horrible travelers. Which, in turn, makes me horrible company. Its a bit of a vicious cycle. So I wasn't super excited to the weekend's trip. And, I'm beyond thrilled with it now that we survived :)
At the center of our faith is the belief, well, KNOWLEDGE, that a family can be sealed together forever. It is central to this principle that the Priesthood of God has been restored to the earth, and that its power is available to righteous men. This principle is the same as it was in the Church that Jesus Christ established when He lived on this earth.
Armed with this testimony, there are certain buildings, known as temples, that are sacred and special above all others on this earth because of their ordination to perform in services that bind us as families forever. Every single oridance that occurs within these walls has one purpose: to seal children to their parents, and link generations of people together. It is in esssence the great truth and purpose of this gospel. And, we believe, it is a continuance of the manner in which we lived before we were granted the opportunity to leave our Heavenly home, and come to earth.
Because of the sacred nature of the temple, not everyone can go in. Regular interviews are required with church leaders who assess our worthiness...our EFFORTS....to maintain certain standards of living...to qualify us for service in the temple. When a child is 12 they are allowed limited access inside to perform certain ordinances. Beyond that, it is limited to adults, who are ready to commit themselves to following the laws and promises extended inside.
This being said...we have advocated being worthy to go inside to our children every.single.chance.we. have. been.given. since they were itty-bitty. We testify all the time about how grateful we are that Heavenly Father has given this Priesthood power to seal forever our families! We've described some of the beautiful things they'll see...
But how THANKFUL I am that this weekend we were able to travel to Calgary Alberta to the open house of the new temple there. During this time, it is open to EVERYONE, regardless of religion and age. You are led through every room inside to see there are no secrets there. And it is beautiful! And...it is exciting! And..you can't help but feel the Spirit of God there.
All of my children were touched. The quietness of Eli, his large usually dancing with mischief eyes were round in wonder. The way Kolbe held his mouth, and the expression on his face. Kenna's eagerness to see the 'next' room. Landri, pushing ahead of me, through the legs of huge crowds, to get into the first room with beautiful chandeliers...to hear her say, at a slightly irreverent :) volume, "oooooooohhhhhhh. Woooooowwwwww! I want one!" And then, there was my personal favorite: My sweet Avery walked silently by my side the whole time. She held my hand, and looked around with the most perfect expression of reverence...like she just got it......as we entered the celestial room, the final place of the tour...the most beautiful room in the temple by far....she raised her eyes up to the crystal chandeliers, which are by far the prettiest fixtures I have EVER seen...and her eyes filled with tears. We made eye contact and she just smiled. It was of course that moment where as a parent you are humbled to 'see' the giant spirit of that child you try to raise. A man at the door was evidently watching this all happen, for when I looked at him he was staring intently at Avery, his eyes pooling too.
So grattitude doesn't quite express my feelings of being able to take my children through the temple this weekend. Hope doesn't quite express my desire to have them all there again with me in the future. I will gladly give up every other comfort in this world for the assurance that my children will be mine forever.
I have many friends and family members who do not share my faith. They share a knowledge of a living, loving God. But different faith. And...I count them to be among my treasures! I hope that they could one day walk the steps my children walked this weekend, and see with different eyes that we, members of the Church of Jesus Christ, are Christian.
I love my Savior. I love my testimony of Him. I love my knowledge of His plan for me(even if I disagree with a few of the given experiences :) and I love my family. And...I am grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment