This kid has been an adventure from the get-go. And there are some nights where I've tucked myself into bed early from sheer exhaustion/frustration with him. And other nights where Nate and I have laughed ourselves silly at his antics. Then there are moments we watch his giant sized spirit and are in awe. While there are those within arm's reach that can't see this plainest truth, this kid is MOST like his daddy than any of the others: he is POWER packed. Heavenly Father must have accepted his small frame as a challenge and squished every ounce of possible personality, energy and determination inside.
A few weeks ago after sending him to bed early for a bit of 'unwelcome' behavior, I went up to tuck him in. I gave myself a few minutes downstairs before going in. He was waiting for me to snuggle, and his little eyes were so sad. He felt bad for his behavior! Yeah!!! As I rubbed the nubby little spikes on his crew cut and talked to him I asked him if he knew how much I loved his daddy, and why I loved his daddy. He didn't quite follow my questioning when he was expecting a lecture :)
I explained what things I adored in Nate: his kindness, ENERGY, enthusiasm, and go go go! Eli nodded his head as he recognized these traits in his dad...acknowledging that these things made daddy perfect in my eyes. And then asked my little man if he thought any one of my children was most like daddy. He was stumped...I then pointed out those same characteristics in him. And the sadness in his eyes was replaced by this cute little burst confidence, almost shy though. I love this kid...and he's going to be one heck of a man one day. I am ever so thankful he is mine.
So let me recount two of Eli's recent highlights:
1)yesterday I received a text from my brother's wife, a teacher at the school. Apparently Eli had flunked an AR test. For those who don't know what this is, its a reading program. Each book is assigned a point value, and after reading a child takes a quiz on the book. If they get all the questions correct, they get 100% of the assigned points. The kids are assigned a 'goal' at the first of the quarter to work toward. Eli's taking this very seriously this year :) Well, apparently the teacher noticed he did poorly and looked things over. She noticed the problem immediately, and questioned him TWICE. Nope, nothing looked weird he said. REally? Cause, he took it in SPANISH! So funny! When I asked him later last night how he couldn't have noticed it was weird, he said mighty cocky-like, "mom, I freaking read Spanish!" Of course you do. Of course you do.
2) Little monster has been begging me to come eat lunch at school with me nearly every single day off that I have. I've not gone. Until today. When I sat down and was waiting for Eli, a little girl who I basically know nothing about...I mean, its a small town, so I know who she is, her 'family' blah blah blah. But we don't do anything with them. We don't KNOW them. That said, this little child tapped me on the shoulder and asked me something I was entirely unprepared for: "so, is Dasha part of your family still?" What??? "Is Dasha still, you know, part of your family? Do you think she is?" My eyes totally welled up with tears and I said yes, yes she is my child still. Eli sat down and was totally unaware of this conversation. I kissed his head and silently promised to love this kid tonight. Because obviously his giant heart has been marked by this failed adoption too. And I've entirely not noticed it, largely because I'm still mourning myself. But I love this tender hearted crazy man...
No comments:
Post a Comment